Friday, August 19, 2016

BREATHE......

I am away for most of the summer and have been attending WW meetings while away.

This leader has a couple copies of a WW book that was published in the PointsPlus era called "Find Your Fingerprint".     She loans it out to meeting members and last week I brought it home.  It has been very interesting reading.


One of the sections talks about the 3 types of hunger.

Real hunger is physical and comes over time and can be satisfied with food

Emotional hunger is endless and is like trying to fill a bottomless pit.

And lastly what she calls FAUX hunger.  This can be brought on by smelling or hearing about good food.  Think popcorn or cinnamon smells or watching cooking shows on TV .  You didn't want it until you saw it or smelled it.  It is not real hunger.  (BREATHE)

The author talks about breathing a couple of times.
The first is doing just that,  breathing....   she wants us to use breathing as a TOOL.

She says prior to any food decision  we should actually stop and take 3 very DEEP breaths. It will give just enough pause to recognize dangerous choices we might be about to make.  Time to regroup.
Also we should be sitting up straighter, taking deeper breaths during the day and getting up and walking around taking deep breaths.  It will clear you mind.
And this is a TOOL that you will always have with you!



But the most interesting thought about breathing was this:

She says that during every meal there is a certain point where we naturally stop and take a deep breath.
This is supposedly the moment at which you should stop eating.  Your body's  signal.

I find this a very interesting observation and idea.

I can remember many a restaurant meal where I have stopped, put my fork down, and taken that breath... but I was not really reading that signal as saying to stop.  I was just waiting for my second wind.  And we know where that got me....  Time to start listening for that cue.


So, I'd like to challenge you all to try to "take notice" of when that moment hits you.    How will you handle it?

Will you stop,will you eat a few more bites, will you eat it all?
I'll be interested in hearing if you notice this "breath" during meals and how you react to it.









For anyone really struggling this is a great book, lots of information and work sheets.
The full title is : Finding Your Fingerprint, Your guide to making WW work for you"


Since it was published under PointsPlus it may not be available in the meeting rooms, but it never hurts to ask.  You can always check ebay or Amazon to see if there are any copies floating around out there.  Or your leader may have an old copy you can borrow.


12 comments:

  1. First off, love the photo on the left! Maybe "they" will put the same book out under the new Smart Points system... oh, probably not, that would make too much sense and we know "they" don't use that! Great info and ideas. Thanks for sharing! I'm getting the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, okay, the photo is on the RIGHT! I am tired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. I'll be checking myself out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of listening for the cue. I've done the second wind thing too many times, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My leader has talked about that sigh or deep breathe. Being a diet/health book junkie I'm going to have to look for it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just ordered, thinking this would be good for DDs. Knowing me I probably have one somewhere! 😄

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that photo. <3 What a great topic. I subconsciously use breathing when I'm feeling stress or feeling hurried. Of course I should use it when I'm "hungry", too. Of course! Such a simple and elegant idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful information for all of us!!! THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a very informative book. I know the true hunger feeling, I know the trigger feelings and FOR SURE, that emotional eating feeling. It IS endless. Very spot on description! One snack item leads to 10 more + ... something that takes CONSTANT watching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the Find Your Fingerprint book..probably time to visit it again. I am so glad I found your blog. Thank you, And that picture is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this good information. I have never thought of the "moment" during a meal and what it signifies....and I will "take notice" from now on!

    ReplyDelete